Thursday 10 October 2013

Week Three: Graphite Rubbing & Wax-Resist Experiments

We started the session using a technique called 'wax-resist', this is where you draw using wax then paint over the drawing with Indian ink to reveal the image drawn in wax. This is an example:

Wax-resist effect.

Next we moved onto graphite rubbings where we used textured areas to create varied effects. Examples below:

These effects are good examples of textured areas that have a irregular relief. 

This page shows how 3D text can create a very stylized effect when using the technique. Also featured on this page are key holes and light switches which give similar effects of depth shown.

Here are some interesting effects captured from the sole of my shoes, grids, fossils and rope. 
After creating these rubbing I scanned the outcomes. This scan shows an inverted style which has been shaken as it scanned to create this wobbly distorted effect.

This was the inverted image I used to create the image above.

Using the original image I replaced the colour of the rubbings with magenta to add some vibrant effects to the fairly mom-toned technique. 


After getting these images scanned and printed I went on to create 6 collage compositions using the scans ripped up. I experimented with adding different colours together, repetition, overlap and many other effects.


This was the first collage I made, it explores ideas of overlay, refection, repetition and composition using the scanned rubbings.

This is the last collage I made which used what I had left over to create this composition which I feel gives a punk effect with the rips and contrast of colours.





No comments:

Post a Comment